Welcome to the Upward Bound Virtual Summer Family Page! As we have in previous summer sessions, you will have the opportunity to engage in a full menu of enrichment classes, college-preparatory workshops, and college campus tours, all while competing in activities with your "theme" family against other "theme-families" to see who comes out on top by the end of summer. This year's theme - cartoon animation.
This year's virtual summer will not make a difference in how points are accrued. Therefore, continuing Ublies, be sure to update/share with any newbies in your family on the importance of participation such as attending class on-time, winning activities/ice-breakers, theme dress-up days, and class participation in order to accrue the maximum number of points for your family each day.
Virtual Summer Session Rotating Schedule 2020
2020 Summer Session Rules and Expectations
Despite moving our UB Summer Session to an online learning forum, UCI Upward Bound still hold our Ublies to the rules and expectations set forth upon joining the Upward Bound program. Parents and Ublies may review the revised virtual learning rules and expectations below.
- Summer Session begins on Monday, June 15th through Friday, July 24th
- Class begins at 8:30a on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays and ends at 12:30p
- Class begins at 9:00a on Tuesdays/Thursdays and ends at 12:30p
- No Class on Friday, July 3rd for the 4th of July holiday
- If you cannot attend class for an unforeseen reason, please complete the Request to be Excused form
- Expected to show respect to all staff and student participants throughout summer programming
- Expected to attend and be on-time to all scheduled programming unless alternative accommodations have been made
- Expected to be active participates in classes and activities
- Expected to abide by the Upward Bound program dress code
- Expected to refrain from bullying, harassment, and abuse of any type, including verbal abuse, and virtual/mobile-related which may cause another individual harm, potential harm, or unnecessary feelings of discomfort
2020 Summer Family Themes
This year, we have six families. Feel free to click below to meet each family and review who is currently at the top of the leaderboard!
This summer, Fairly OddParents will grant their family's wish in achieving their academic goals and with their hard work and participation!
Our Scooby Doo family is driven by endless curiosity of new knowledge.
Once upon a time, in a faraway garden, there lived two kind-hearted souls, beautiful on the outside and on the inside (plot twist!)
Our SpongeBob SquarePants family lives under the sea. We are silly like Patrick. We are determined like Plankton.
As the Teen Titans Family, our mission is to fight crime along with the power of academics.
Toy Story is a world where toys come to life when humans leave. In this family, know that we’re in this together and no “toy” gets left behind.
|Leaderboard - Final||Total Points||Place|
How to Earn Points For Your Family
There are a variety of ways one can earn points for his/her family each week. The following is a summary of the common ways Ublies have earned points in previous summers along with a few new "virtual" opportunities:
- Attendance (bonus 20pts if perfect attendance each week)
- Be on-time to class (every class, ice breaker or family activity = bonus 10pts each week)
- Be visible on Zoom (the entire class, all classes, and during activities); bonus 20pts each week if a staff person DOES NOT have to ask you to turn on your camera each week)
- Attend instructor office hours (5pts)
- Participate in Dress-up days; 5pts for partial drss-up (visible screen only); 10pts if fully dressed-up (head to toe)
- Winning Ice Breaker Activity: 10pts for 1st Place, 5pts for 2nd Place
- Actively participating in class (not just showing and sitting)
- Instructor Recommendation: if an instructor would like to award a student participant with bonus points for "going above and beyond" in class, they will email UB Staff the name of that participant for this recommendation at their discretion (100 pts)
- Staff discretion - if a Staff person feels an Ubly is doing an exceptional job in class or trying hard, s/he can advocate for additional points to be awarded to that student's family
- Staff discretion can also advocate for points to be redacted from a student's family should that student's lack of participation or behavior become an issue
1000 point Swag Options
|Upcoming Participation Opportunities||Date||Possible Points|
|PJ Day||6/16||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Favorite Color Day||6/17||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Sports Day||6/18||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Crazy Hair Day||6/23||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Super Hero Day||6/24||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Favorite Movie/TV Show Day||6/25||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Twin Day||6/30||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Family Day||7/1||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Career Day||7/2||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Disney Day||7/7||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|80s Day||7/8||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Wacky Socks Day||7/9||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Anime/Video Game Day||7/14||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|90s Day||7/15||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Beach Day||7/16||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|You Choose a Character Day||7/21||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|70s Day||7/22||10 (f); 5 (p)|
|Dress Like a RTA Day||7/23||10 (f); 5 (p)|
All logos are owned by their respective copyright owners and are being used under assumed fair use. They may be removed upon request from copyright owners.